Monday, August 24, 2009

How Are You?

"How are you?" I am asked accompanied by a look of concern that quickly changes to a beaming smile as they state, "You look great!"

What to say? The short answer is, "I'm fine and thanks." Though it shaves the truth a bit, I've at least given an answer, appreciated the compliment, and made way for the conversation to move on. Most folks just want reassurance that I'm doing well.

A slightly longer and more complete answer is, "Considering I've had two brain re-arrangments within seven months, I'm spectacular. Really! But it sure has taken the starch out of me. I'm very tired."

Members of a forum for the 'brain rearranged', I am not alone. No matter how young or how healthy the patient at the time of surgery, fatigue plagues us all as if our brain-to-body circuitry has been altered to a lower amperage. Medically, I have no restrictions yet I have real limits as to how active I can be.

Awake at dawn, my energy is high; by noon it is depleted. Currently I am challenged in choosing how to spend those precious morning hours. As long as the weather holds, I walk immediately following a breakfast of eat groats and fruit. Everything else is juggled as I try to pack a full day into a half. After lunch I nap hoping to arise to another morning - to have two mornings a day. Naps give me a half measure of energy, enough for reading or visiting with friends. On my better days I prepare a simple dinner after which my dear husband does KP.

From day to day I am uncertain what will be my capacity. Planning is inappropriate for now. If I push too hard or too fast, I am plunged into frustration or depression. Instead of attempting the impossible, I search for the ever elusive right balance between rest and activity. Finding what will be my "new normal" will take several more months. All in good fine.

3 comments:

DJan said...

I love the typo in the last sentence. I know you meant to say, "all in good time" but it came out "all in good fine" (I'm repeating it here in case you are moved to change it, which is unnecessary.) because this post shows me that you are all in good fine... in other words, that you are continuing to recover from what anyone would call a devastating period. Just the fact that all of you is capable of recovery is wonderful. Thanks for posting this; I've been wondering how you are. And now I know!

Penny said...

For the moment, I'll leave it as is for it is an example of how I speak and write...with intermittent errors in words. Most often, it is the categories that get mixed up, i.e. daughter instead of mother, or next month instead of next year. This impairment of my language processing may or may not be permanent. Eventually I'll found out. Thanks for keeping up with me.

Nishant said...

in other words, that you are continuing to recover from what anyone would call a devastating period. Just the fact that all of you is capable of recovery is wonderful. Thanks for posting this; I've been wondering how you are. And now I know!
Work From Home