My stay at General Hospital was less than forty-eight hours if you count from when I was wheeled to my room on Friday evening and somewhat more if you include the waiting time in the ER. In those few hours, Mike and I were to experience a wave of love and support from our friends, many more than we ever imagined we had.
Lois, our friend who discovered us in the first half hour we were sitting in the ER, must have phoned our mutual friends, Connie and Chuck, before she even left the hospital for Connie rang us up with questions and offers of help within the hour. Her call prompted Mike and I to ask ourselves who should be notified.
I made three calls. Our dear friends and co-ministers, Rose and Mel, were first on the call list. Rose quickly committed to a visit the next day. Doris and Beth knew where I was because they'd helped me find Greg. Sue knew where I was because I canceled our lunch date, but she didn't know why. Instead of phoning her again, I called our mutual friend, Linda, with whom I have a particularly close relationship knowing she could fill Sue in with the particulars. And I phoned Ann knowing how hurt she would be if I did not. Those few calls spawned many visitors over the next two days.
Knowing that the hospital would not be serving foods I am used to eating, Connie and Chuck arrived on Saturday with bags of fruit and whole grain bread, enough for several days. Later, when Rose visited, I asked that she bring me a book she uses for planning memorial services. She understood and promised the book. Surprising me, Greg came by to see us and asked for my permission to look at the CT-scan after which he would return with his assessment. Once I caught him up to date on what Dr.Newbough had told us, Greg recommended we get Dr. John Schmidt for my neurosurgeon. After he left and examined the CT-scan, Greg returned saying he'd run into Dr. Schmidt in the hallway and had spoken to him of me. My tumors, he said, were old and not likely to be cancerous thereby easing our minds for the moment. Exiting, he reassured me that he'd be checking on me on Sunday if he could find the time. He did. So kind. Prior to my call for help on the 27th of December, we'd been acquainted through Beth, seeing one another at her annual birthday parties, but here he was, treating us as dear friends, and so he has become.
On Sunday, I was not yet finished with the numerous tests taken on me and still hadn't seen Dr. Schmidt. Our expectation was that Schmidt would confer with us and I'd be operated on Monday or Tuesday. But the day had its own surprises ahead. For one thing, it was to be a day of visits.
Linda phoned to arrange an early visit and would be traveling from home, skipping church service. Ann Patterson was the first to arrive laden with food and good wishes. Mike absented himself with Linda arrived not wanting to intrude. Linda had crossed Ann's path at the elevator as she was leaving. Shortly, Beth brought a plant and seeing that Linda was with me, waved and quickly left. Linda didn't want to be in the way of others' visits and was going to leave but I reassured her that Beth would see Mike down the hall and they were great friends, that Mike needs some visitors as well. After a bit, Linda's phone rang and she excused herself, stepping out into the hallway when Doris walked in, all smiles, with another bag of goodies. She, too, was going to make it a short visit having seen Linda outside my door.
"No, no. She's on the phone and will be a bit. Sit here. I'm so glad you came." And so I was able to catch Doris up on what was known, or at least what we believed at that time. Linda returned and remarked on the number of visitors. "I, too, am impressed."
It must be understood that during this time, I was 'high' on steroids, so the stream of friends was welcome and absorbed some of the excess energy I was feeling. And I was talking, and talking, and talking.
Mary Jo later walked in, with a vase of flowers with a little bear clinging aside the vase.
"How did you find out, Mary Jo?"
"Yesterday. Connie and Chuck stopped by with the news since they were in the neighborhood to pick up some art."
Later, as I was walking Mary Jo out, Jim, Episcopal priest and neighbor, stopped me in the hallway. "You were on our prayer list and I learned that you were here so I thought I'd find out what's happening."
Mary Joe continued on her way while I explained to Jim what was going on.
By the time I was finished with Jim, Linda had finished her call. I walked with her towards the elevators and we found that Mike was sitting together with Beth, Doris, and Mary Jo having a party without the main feature. Linda was introduced to Mary Jo who she had never met and we sat down with the rest of the party and proceeded to have quite a good time. Surrounded by those with whom I share a deep love and appreciation, I realized the treasure I held. Mike expressed his admiration of these great women that were gathered on my behalf and suggested to Mary Jo who is significantly younger than the rest of the women, that she was sitting amongst women who are good role models for her, and a peek at who she, herself would become. In that moment I realized that I recognized that I had developed close friendships with several women of intellect, sensitivity, integrity, and compassion right here in WV. How had I missed that?
The truth is, they are all very, very busy as I had once been. Therefore, I was always longing for friends, When I saw them, it was usually one-on-one.and not ever as often as I'd like. In fact, the infrequency of contact kept them treasures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment